Digital Library of Georgia adds Vienna Progress to archive

June 3, 2014

Print

Contact:
Donnie Summerlin

Donnie Summerlin

Digital Library of Georgia
Work: 706-583-0209
Email:

Related Sites

Athens, Ga. - Archives from the Vienna Progress (1893-1904) have been added to the South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive, a project of the Digital Library of Georgia, which is based at the University of Georgia Libraries.

The archive now provides access to 17 newspapers published in 10 South Georgia cities (Albany, Americus, Bainbridge, Brunswick, Cuthbert, Thomasville, Tifton, Valdosta, Vienna and Waycross) from 1845 to 1922. Consisting of over 152,000 newspaper pages, the archive provides historical images that are both full-text searchable and can be browsed by date.

The archive includes the Albany Herald (1892-1893, 1900-1901, 1906), Albany News (1867-1892), Albany Patriot (1845-1866), Americus Times Recorder (1881-1921), Bainbridge Democrat (1872-1909), Bainbridge Search Light/Post-Search Light (1901-1922), Brunswick Advertiser/Advertiser and Appeal (1875-1889), Cuthbert Appeal (1866-1886), Sumter Republican (1870-1885), Tifton Gazette (1892-1919), Thomasville Times Enterprise (1873-1922), Valdosta Times (1908-1912), Vienna News (1902-1918), Waycross Headlight (1884-1887), Waycross Herald (1892-1914) and Waycross Journal (1901-1914).

The South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive is part of the Georgia HomePLACE initiative, which encourages Georgia public libraries and related institutions to participate in the digital library. The project is also supported with federal funds administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Georgia Public Library Service, a unit of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. Additional financial support was provided by Randy Sullivan.

Other newspaper archives available through the Digital Library of Georgia include the Atlanta Historic Newspapers Archive (1847-1922), the Macon Telegraph Archive (1826-1908), the Athens Historic Newspapers Archive (1827-1928), the Columbus Enquirer Archive (1828-1890), the Milledgeville Historic Newspapers Archive (1808-1920), the Southern Israelite Archive (1929-1986), The Red & Black Archive (1893-2006), and the Mercer Cluster Archive (1920-1970).

These archives can be accessed at http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/MediaTypes/Newspapers.html and http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/sgnewspapers.

 

Filed under: Culture / Living, Arts and Entertainment, Communications

Media Relations

Executive Director for Media Communications
Greg Trevor

706 / 542-8025
Executive Editor for Media Relations
David Bill

706 / 542-9150
Media Relations Coordinator
Sara Freeland

706 / 542-8077
Media Relations Coordinator for Broadcast
Melissa Jackson

706 / 542-8089

Open Records

Open Records Manager
Bob Taylor

706 / 542-8095