$1 million gift enables UGA to transform historic barn on Griffin campus into Dundee Café

Café also will display archival materials that document campus, community history

Griffin mule barn 1920s-h

October 12, 2017

Print
Writer:
Sam Fahmy

Sam Fahmy

Director of Public Relations

Recent and archived articles by Sam Fahmy

Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
Academic Affairs and Provost, Office of Senior VP for
Work: 706-583-0727
Email:

Contact:
Lew Hunnicutt

Lew Hunnicutt


Work: 770-228-7263
Email:

Photography

  • magnify Griffin mule barn 1920s-h

    The Mule Barn was built in 1920 to demonstrate a new construction technique to the state, and it is the second-oldest building on the UGA Griffin campus.

  • magnify Griffin mule barn location-h

    The nearly 3,900 square-foot Dundee Café at the Mule Barn is scheduled to open in summer 2018 in the historic structure near the campus student learning center.

  • magnify Mule Barn Bridle Rack-v

    Original woodwork remains on several walls of the historic Mule Barn on the UGA Griffin campus. Historic elements, such as the names of mules written on the interior walls where their bridles were hung, will be protected during renovation and will be a highlight of the Dundee Café.

Scroll Left 1 Scroll Right

Related Sites

Athens, Ga. - A historic structure at the heart of the University of Georgia Griffin campus will undergo a $1 million renovation thanks to a gift from the Dundee Community Association.

The nearly 100-year-old facility, which once housed mules that pulled plows and other farm equipment, will be repurposed into a café that will connect students and the surrounding community with the history of Griffin and Spalding County. The 3,900-square-foot Dundee Café at the Mule Barn is scheduled to open in summer 2018 in the historic structure near the campus student learning center.

"I want to express my deepest gratitude to the Dundee Community Association for this generous gift," said UGA President Jere W. Morehead. "The new café will enhance the Griffin campus while further strengthening the ties between the university and the surrounding communities."

The $1,023,000 gift will completely cover the cost of the renovation, which will create the first dining facility at UGA-Griffin and support a key pillar of the university's Commit to Georgia campaign, enhancing the learning environment.

"As the second-oldest structure on campus, the Mule Barn represents a part of Georgia Experiment Station and University of Georgia history that will be preserved and cherished thanks to the generosity of the Dundee Community Association," said Lew Hunnicutt, assistant provost and campus director at UGA-Griffin. "It will be the center and heartbeat of the academic quad, serving students and members of the Griffin/Spalding County community as well."

The UGA-Griffin campus was established in 1888 as the Georgia Experiment Station, part of a national network of agricultural research stations that were the forebears of today's Cooperative Extension programs. The Mule Barn was built in 1920 to demonstrate a new construction technique to the state, and original woodwork remains on several walls. Additional historical elements include the names of mules written on the interior walls where their bridles were hung, as well as crop weight calculations written in pencil and ink. These and other historic features will be protected during renovation and will be a highlight of the café, which also will host music and other events and house rotating exhibits on the history of the campus and surrounding community, including the nearby Dundee Mills.

Tom Gardner, chair of the Dundee Community Association, noted that textiles were a key industry in Spalding County, with Dundee Mills being the area's largest employer for nearly a century.

"The Dundee Community Association was focused on being a good corporate citizen and an essential partner in Griffin and Spalding County," Gardner said. "It was known for its dedication to supporting and enhancing the quality of life of the mills' employees and their families. Today, the Dundee Community Association is truly pleased that we can make this grant of $1 million to the UGA-Griffin campus. We believe the campus will be a vital part of the future growth of Griffin and the Spalding County community as it continues to expand educational opportunities, provides additional employment, and gains even more worldwide recognition through its research, instruction and service."

About UGA-Griffin
The UGA-Griffin campus was established in 1888 as the Georgia Experiment Station. It houses Extension services for the people of Georgia as well as internationally recognized research programs. It launched its first academic programs in 2005 and now offers undergraduate degree-completion programs and graduate degrees in fields ranging from agribusiness to education. UGA-Griffin is internationally known for its research in agriculture, food processing and food safety, among several other fields. Notable research centers at UGA-Griffin include the Center for Food Safety, the Food Product Innovation and Commercialization Center, the Center for Urban Agriculture, and a Turfgrass Research and Education Facility. For more information on UGA-Griffin, see https://www.griffin.uga.edu/.

 

 

Filed under: University News, Major Gifts

Media Relations

Executive Director for Media Communications
Greg Trevor

706 / 542-8025
Executive Editor for Media Relations
David Bill

706 / 542-9150
Media Relations Coordinator
Sara Freeland

706 / 542-8077
Media Relations Coordinator for Broadcast
Melissa Jackson

706 / 542-8089

Open Records

Open Records Manager
Bob Taylor

706 / 542-8095