Parents and families council awards grants to enhance undergraduate student experience
April 9, 2014Print
Athens, Ga. - The University of Georgia Parents and Families Leadership Council recently awarded more than $155,000 in grants to various UGA schools, colleges, units, departments, divisions and recognized student organizations for projects and programs which enhance the quality of life for undergraduate students.
"The UGA Parents and Families Leadership Council members see the grant program as a wonderful opportunity for parents to support students," said Diane Johnson, director of the Parents and Families Leadership Council. "They see the impact of their support while their students are here at UGA and have done so much to positively impact student life on campus."
The grants committee, made up of 25 parent volunteers, selected 24 recipients from across the university. Recipients included programs to help student veterans, to give students discounted tickets to Performing Arts Center events and to welcome new students to campus with a meet-and-greet and class picture in Sanford Stadium, among other student-centered initiatives.
A primary focus of the UGA Parents and Families Association is to support the Parents and Families grants program. Since 2000, more than $1.2 million has been awarded to enhance the college experience for parents and families and their students.
"Your past gifts have changed students' lives and without being too dramatic have probably saved some students as well," said Dr. Jean E. Chin, executive director of the University Health Center, in a letter thanking the council for granting support to counseling and psychiatric services for students.
The UGA Parents and Families Leadership Council is made up of Georgia Fund leadership level donors from the UGA Parents and Families Association. Founded in 2000, the UGA Parents and Families Association was established to help parents and families stay involved with their students and promote the development of their own connections to the university. Through meetings, family events, supporting the UGA Foundation and the UGA Parents and Families Fund, the Parents and Families Leadership Council provides more leadership opportunities for parents and families to become partners with the university in the education and development of every student.
Other 2014 grant recipients include:
• Ready UGA (Student Emergency Preparedness Program) - Office of Security and Emergency Preparedness
• UGA Student Emergency Fund - Division of Student Affairs
• Student Veterans of America at UGA
• Class of 2018 Freshman Welcome - University of Georgia
• Counseling and Psychiatric Services Financial Assistance Program
• Student and Staff Development Fund - Office of the Dean of Students
• Community Safe Ride Program - Designated Dawgs
• Providing Motivational Atmosphere and Tools to Enhance Tutoring Effectiveness - Division of Academic Achievement
• Youth to Business Forum - AIESEC/UGA
• CENGR Connections - College of Engineering
• Cultures of Academic Success and Achievement - Office of Institutional Diversity
• Movimento Latino - Office of Institutional Diversity and Office of Admissions
• Terry Digital Marketing Program and Competition - Terry College of Business, Department of Marketing
• Campus Kitchens Project Annual Conference
• Georgia Museum of Art Student Association
• Think Tank Revitalization Project - UGA Libraries
• Academic, Career and Life Planning for Undergraduates - Department of Counseling and Human Development Services
• Peach State LSAMP Building Bridges Summer Institute - Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
• Student Ticket Initiative - UGA Performing Arts Center
• Thursday Evening Films - Georgia Museum of Art
• UGA Science Library - Interactive Touchscreen Exhibit Display
• Upholding the Pillars: Building Community - Office of Student Conduct and University Judiciary
• Career Center
• Gateway to Georgia Need-Based Scholarship
For more information on the Parents and Families Leadership Council, see http://www.externalaffairs.uga.edu/parents_families/index.php/site/leadership.