UGA restoring North Campus lampposts

March 10, 2014

Print
Share    

Contact:
Dexter Adams
Dexter Adams

Related Sites

Athens, Ga. - The University of Georgia is currently working to restore the 10 cast iron lampposts located at the entrance to North Campus in front of the Holmes-Hunter building and the Chapel and gifted to the university by the 1914 senior class.

The UGA Facilities Management Division will have the project completed this spring.

Installed in June 1914 by the Athens Rail and Light Company, the lampposts were the first row of electric lights at UGA and the first significant outdoor electric light installation in Athens. After 100 years of service, the lights have deteriorated and become unreliable, said Dexter Adams, director of the UGA Grounds Department.

The preservation project will comprehensively update the wiring, lamps and footings and replace missing cast iron parts. The Facilities Management Division will use the same metal preservation process on the lampposts as it used on the North Campus fence restoration project.

Preliminary work on the project began Feb. 15. The posts will be physically removed the week of March 10, and temporary lighting and signage will be installed that same week. All work will be finished before graduation-for the class of 2014-May 9.

 

Filed under: University News, Facilities

Media Relations

Executive Editor for Media Relations
David C. Bill

706 / 542-9150
Media Relations Coordinator
Sara Freeland

706 / 542-8077
Media Relations Coordinator for Broadcast
Melissa Jackson

706 / 542-8089

Open Records

Open Records Manager
Bob Taylor

706 / 542-8095