UGA Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Pamela Whitten has appointed a committee to begin a national search to fill the position of dean of the School of Social Work.
Linda Kirk Fox, dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, will chair the search committee, which includes faculty, staff, alumni and a student.
Additional search committee members are:
• Jennifer Abbott, director of development in the School of Social Work and a recent Staff Council representative.
• Leon Banks, senior academic professional and bachelor of social work program director.
• Y. Joon Choi, an assistant professor in the School of Social Work.
• Llewellyn Cornelius, director of the UGA Center for Social Justice, Human and Civil Rights, and the Donald L. Hollowell Distinguished Professor of Social Justice and Civil Rights Studies (pending board of regents approval) in the School of Social Work.
• Jarrett Daniels, a master of social work student and co-chair of the MSW Student-Faculty Committee.
• June Gary Hopps, the Thomas M. “Jim” Parham Professor of Family and Children Studies in the School of Social Work.
• Shelly Hutchinson, a School of Social Work alumna and founder and director of the Social Empowerment Center, one of the Bulldog 100 fastest-growing companies owned or operated by UGA alumni.
• Shari Miller, an associate professor, associate dean and Ph.D. program director in the School of Social Work.
• Orion Mowbray, an assistant professor in the School of Social Work.
• Patricia Reeves, a professor in the School of Social Work.
• Bobby Robbins, a School of Social Work alumnus and member of the school’s board of visitors.
• Betsy Vonk, a professor in the School of Social Work.
The committee will be assisted by the UGA Search Group in Human Resources.
School of Social Work Dean Maurice Daniels recently announced that he will step down after a decade of service as dean to focus more intensely on his research on the civil rights movement and his work with the Foot Soldier Project for Civil Rights Studies. He will continue to serve as dean until his successor is appointed.