The University System of Georgia Board of Regents voted to approve the naming of Building 1512 after the late Gov. George D. Busbee.
Busbee, the 77th governor of Georgia, championed education during his time in office establishing the statewide public kindergarten system. He also focused on economic development, prison reform, state constitution revision and Department of Human Resources restructuring.
Building 1512 opened in fall 2004 along with McWhorter Hall, Rooker Hall and Vandiver Hall. A dedication is planned for April 4 at 2 p.m.
A native of Vienna, Busbee enrolled as a student at UGA after attending both Georgia Military College and Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College and serving in the U.S. Navy. At UGA, he earned bachelor’s and law degrees.
In 1956, Busbee was elected to the Georgia House of Representatives and served for 18 years. He served two terms as governor of Georgia.
After retiring from politics, Busbee lived with his family in Duluth and became a partner at King and Spalding. He died in 2004 at the age of 76.