Athens, Ga. – The University of Georgia Athletic Association hosted its annual student-athletes award banquet April 21, highlighted by swimmers Andrew Gemmell and Shannon Vreeland announced as Georgia’s nominees for the Boyd McWhorter SEC Postgraduate Scholarship.
Georgia alumnus and two-time Masters Tournament winner Bubba Watson made a surprise guest appearance prior to the start of the banquet, where he spoke to student-athletes about the importance of maintaining success and strong leadership characteristics both in the classroom and on the playing field.
Seniors Chris Burnette (football) and Kate Fuller (women’s tennis) were named Georgia’s nominees for the SEC Community Service Postgraduate Scholarships, while sophomore Brandie Jay (gymnastics) and senior Hernus Pieters (men’s tennis) were named recipients of the UGA Athletic Association Sportsmanship-Ethics Award. Pieters also received the Athletic Association’s annual Inspiration Award.
Quarterback Aaron Murray was chosen as the UGAAA Male Athlete of the Year, while swimmer Allison Schmitt claimed the award on the women’s side.
The women’s tennis team and the men’s cross country team were recognized as the recipients of the Faculty Athletics Representative’s award, after earning the highest team GPAs of 3.48 and 3.18, respectively, during the 2012-13 academic year.
The Bulldog Cup Award went to the equestrian team for participation in community service, leadership programs and support of other teams.
The award winners are listed below.
• 2013-14 Boyd McWhorter SEC Postgraduate Scholarship Nominees – Andrew Gemmell (Wilmington, Del.), Shannon Vreeland (Overland Park, Kan.)
• University of Georgia Athletic Association Inspiration Award – Hernus Pieters (Pretoria, South Africa)
• Brad Davis SEC Community Service Postgraduate Scholarship – Chris Burnette (LaGrange), Kate Fuller (Suwanee)
• University of Georgia Athletic Association Sportsmanship-Ethics Award – Brandie Jay (Fort Collins, Colo.), Hernus Pieters (Pretoria, South Africa)
• Clifford Lewis Leadership Award – Gaby Smiley (Alpharetta)
• Dick Copas Leadership Award – Nathan Pasha (Atlanta)
• Hornsby Howell Community Service Award – Julia Hemingway (Alpharetta)
• Dick Bestwick Scholar-Athlete Award – Jared Dunn (Johns Creek)
• Marilyn Vincent Scholar-Athlete Award – Kate Skoglund (Tualatin, Ore.)
• University of Georgia Athletic Association Male Athlete of the Year – Aaron Murray (Tampa, Fla.)
• University of Georgia Athletic Association Female Athlete of the Year – Allison Schmitt (Canton, Mich.)
2012-13 Scholar-Athlete Awards
• Grant Earls, baseball
• Taylor Echols, men’s basketball
• Marjorie Butler, women’s basketball
• Maria Salazar and Kate Skoglund, equestrian
• Reuben Faloughi, football
• Sylvie Brick, women’s golf
• Anysia Unick, gymnastics
• Lily Rios, soccer
• Tiesha Reed, softball
• Christian Riess and Ty Stewart, men’s swimming and diving
• Olivia Boggs and Chantal Van Landeghem, women’s swimming and diving
• Garrett Brasseaux, men’s tennis
• Lauren Herring, women’s tennis
• Jared Dunn, men’s cross country and track and field
• Lucie Ondraschkova, women’s cross country and track and field
• Lauren Teknipp, volleyball
For more information about the University of Georgia Athletic Association, see http://www.georgiadogs.com/.