UGA New Faculty Tour to visit 14 cities, pass through 48 counties
August 11, 2014Print
- Kelly Simmons
Athens, Ga. - About 40 new faculty from the University of Georgia will hit the road this week for a state tour designed to help them understand the geography, demographics, diversity, economy, history and culture of Georgia.
Following remarks from UGA President Jere W. Morehead the group will head toward Gainesville for its first stop at Jaemor Farms to learn about agribusiness in north Georgia and the growing agritourism industry across the state. During the week, the group will get a firsthand look at some of the key economic generators in Georgia, including Shaw Industries in Cartersville, the Kia Motors Manufacturing Plant in West Point, Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins, the CSX Rice Yard in Waycross and the Georgia Ports Authority in Garden City.
They also will tour the state Capitol and the Martin Luther King Jr. National Parks Service Visitors Center in Atlanta, and the town of Senoia, which is home to Riverwood Studios, where "The Walking Dead" is filmed.
"This tour helps our faculty recognize the state's diversity and discover ways in which their expertise can help Georgia's communities grow and prosper," said Jennifer Frum, UGA vice president for public service and outreach. "It is a living experience that has proved to be one of the University of Georgia's most important faculty development programs."
The New Faculty Tour is coordinated by the Office of the Vice President for Public Service and Outreach and is made possible by major support from the Office of the President and the Office of the Vice President for Public Service and Outreach. It also receives support from the UGA Alumni Association as well as numerous other units and supporters of the university.
The 2014 New Faculty Tour begins Aug. 11 and concludes on Friday, Aug. 15, at about 4 p.m.
The tour schedule and cities visited are as follows:
Monday, Aug. 11
• Georgia Center for Continuing Education, Athens
• Jaemor Farms, Alto
• Wolf Mountain Vineyards, Dahlonega
• Amicalola Falls State Park, Dawsonville
Tuesday, Aug. 12
• Shaw Industries, Cartersville
• Georgia State Capitol, Atlanta
• Martin Luther King Jr. National Park Service Visitors Center, Atlanta
• University of Georgia Alumni Center, Atlanta
• Consular Corps Dinner, Atlanta
Wednesday, Aug. 13
• Overview of film industry in Georgia, Senoia
• Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia Inc., West Point
• Robins Air Force Base, Warner Robins
Thursday, Aug. 14
University of Georgia Tifton Campus, Tifton
• CSX Rail Yard, Waycross
• Skidaway Island, UGA Marine Extension Service, Savannah
Friday, Aug. 15
• Walking tour of historic Savannah
• Georgia Ports Authority, Garden City Terminal
• Washington County Archway Partnership and Kaolin Industry, Sandersville
For more information on the tour, see http://outreach.uga.edu/faculty/new-faculty-tour.