Athens, Ga. – Michael Garrett, an internationally respected editor, whose credits include working with Stephen King and other literary greats, will teach a series of five writing workshops offered through the University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education. The workshops will be held in September and November at the Georgia Center, 1197 S. Lumpkin St., in Athens, and the UGA Gwinnett Campus, 2530 Sever Rd., in Lawrenceville.
Garrett is credited in King’s non-fiction book, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, as King’s first editor. In a professional capacity, he also edited the works of such greats as Joyce Carol Oates, Harlan Ellison, Lawrence Block, and many others for major publishers including Pocket Books and Kensington Publishing. Garrett also is an internationally published author who has been extensively published since 1979, from periodicals such as Twilight Zone magazine to his novel, Keeper, which sold out its initial printing and was optioned for a movie. His short story, At the Count of Three, also was optioned as the pilot episode of a late night cable television series.
Writing workshop titles, locations, dates and times are outlined below.
Fiction for Beginners
- UGA Gwinnett Campus: Friday, Sept. 17, 1-4 p.m.
- UGA Center for Continuing Education: Saturday, November 20, 9 a.m. -12 p.m.
The Truth about Self-publication
- UGA Gwinnett Campus: Friday, Sept. 17, 6-9 p.m.
- UGA Center for Continuing Education: Saturday, November 20, 1-4 p.m.
How to Become a Published Author
- UGA Gwinnett Campus: Saturday, Sept. 18, 9 a.m. -12 p.m.
- UGA Center for Continuing Education: Saturday, Nov. 20, 6-9 p.m.
Creating Your Novel
- UGA Gwinnett Campus: Saturday, Sept. 18, 1-4 p.m.
- UGA Center for Continuing Education: Sunday, Nov. 21, 9 a.m. -12 p.m.
Short Story and Novel Feedback
- UGA Gwinnett Campus: Saturday, Sept. 18, 6-9 p.m.
- UGA Center for Continuing Education: Sunday, Nov. 21, 1-4 p.m.
For writing workshop fees, registration and session descriptions, see www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/ppd/courses/writing.phtml. Discounts are available to participants who register for more than one session.
For more information on the continuing education opportunities at the University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education, see www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/ppd, call 1-800-811-6640 or email email@example.com.
The University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education is a unit of the Office of the Vice President for Public Service and Outreach. The center provides innovative lifelong learning opportunities through its continuing education programs.