Individuals regularly getting high quality sleep often have a sleep ritual. A sleep ritual is a routine that helps the mind and body wind down at the end of the day in preparation for a good night’s sleep. To get the best sleep, follow these tips:
• Maintain a regular bed and wake time schedule, including on weekends. Sleeping more than 1-2 hours more on the weekend can wreak havoc on your circadian rhythms, so a regular wake schedule is important.
• Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine such as soaking in a hot bath or hot tub and then reading a book or listening to soothing music.
• Create a sleep-conducive environment that is dark, quiet, comfortable and cool.
• Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
• Use your bedroom only for sleep and sex.
• Finish eating at least 2-3 hours before your regular bedtime.
• Exercise regularly. It is best to complete your workout at least 2 hours before bedtime, as exercising before you sleep can leave your body too energized to relax.
• Avoid caffeine (coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks, chocolate) 3-4 hours before bedtime. It can keep you awake.
• Avoid nicotine (cigarettes, tobacco products). Used close to bedtime, these products can lead to poor sleep.
• Avoid alcohol close to bedtime.
Source: University Health Center