Individuals who regularly get high-quality sleep often have a sleep ritual, a routine that helps the mind and body wind down at the end of the day in preparation for a good night’s sleep. If you’d like to get a better night of sleep, make sure that your sleep ritual includes the following:
• Maintain a regular bed and wake time schedule even during weekends.
• Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine.
• Create a sleep-conducive environment that is dark, quiet, comfortable and cool.
• Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
• Finish eating at least two to three hours before your regular bedtime.
• Exercise regularly. It is best to complete your workout at least two hours before bedtime.
• Avoid caffeine in items such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks or chocolate three to four hours before bedtime.
• Avoid nicotine in cigarettes or tobacco products.