The key to controlling mold and mold spores in your home is to control the moisture and do it quickly, said UGA Cooperative Extension expert Pamela Turner.
Mold can cause fungal allergy and respiratory infections or worsen certain illnesses like asthma, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
To prevent mold from growing in your house, UGA Extension experts suggest following these steps to reduce moisture levels:
• Turn on the exhaust fan in the bathroom when you take a shower and leave it on for about five minutes after you shower.
• Turn on the kitchen exhaust fan when you are cooking.
• Check and repair any leaky kitchen and
bathroom faucets as well as other plumbing.
• Remove at least one-third of the contents
of your closets to provide increased airflow and reduce the risk of mold.
• Make sure water does not pool around the foundation of your house. If it does, clean, repair or replace gutters and make sure downspouts direct the water away from the foundation. Also, check the grading of the soil around the foundation of your house. It should have a gradual slope away from the foundation.
Source: UGA Cooperative Extension