Since 2000, UGA has reduced its energy use per square foot by more than 6 percent. Decreasing energy use saves the university money and reduces its environmental impact. The Office of Sustainability has these tips on ways to save energy in the office:
• Close the blinds at night to conserve heat in the winter. Close the blinds during the day to keep buildings cool in the summer.
• Trade desk and task light incandescent bulbs for compact fluorescent bulbs, which use less energy and last longer.
• Share printers, coffee makers and fax machines with neighboring offices to save electricity as well as money on purchasing and maintenance.
• Turn off equipment when not in use and unplug as much equipment as possible nightly and over holidays, long weekends or extended periods of nonuse.
• Eliminate screen savers. They waste energy rather than conserve it.
• Eliminate space heaters.