University System of Georgia Chancellor Hank Huckaby announced today a new Alcohol and Substance Abuse Task Force that will review and develop recommendations related to alcohol and substance abuse at the system’s 30 public colleges and universities.
“The Campus Safety and Security Committee found that alcohol and other substance abuse plays an overwhelming role in campus sexual assaults,” said Chancellor Hank Huckaby. “We want to ensure that we address those matters that have been found to adversely affect the safety and security of our students.”
The task force will:
• Conduct a comprehensive review of policies and procedures relating to alcohol and substance abuse at University System institutions;
• Review the impact of alcohol licensing; and,
• Address other matters it deems appropriate.
Upon completion of its review, the task force will present a report with recommendations to Chancellor Huckaby.
Members of the committee are:
• President Jere Morehead, University of Georgia (Co-Chair)
• President Cheryl Dozier, Savannah State University (Co-Chair)
• Vice President for Student Affairs Teresa Thompson, Georgia Southern University
• Lead Health Educator Ron King, University of West Georgia
• Director of Public Safety Justin Gaines, University of North Georgia
• Associate General Counsel Qiana Wilson, Georgia College & State University
• Dean of Students and Director of Housing Jeff Jacobs, Clayton State University
• Executive Director of Community Engagement Brian Wooten, Kennesaw State University
• Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics Monica Swahn, Georgia State University
• Student Government Association President Juawn Jackson, Georgia College & State University
• Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services Jodi Johnson, Dalton State College
• Student Government Association President Katherine Fromm, Dalton State College
• Assistant Dean of Students Darcy Bragg, Georgia Southwestern State University
• Vice President for Student Affairs Karen Werling, South Georgia Technical College
• Senior Vice President and Dean of Campus Life Ajay Nair, Emory University
• Director of Member Services Lisa Macke, Georgia Independent College Association
• Deputy Director of Government Relations Marci Rubensohn, Georgia Municipal Association
• Human Resources Director for Unified Government Lisa Ward, Athens-Clarke County
At a later date, a student from the University of Georgia and Savannah State University will be added.
The original release is available at www.usg.edu/news/release/chancellor_hank_huckaby_announces_alcohol_and_substance_abuse_task_force.