Media advisory: UGA to break ground on Baldwin Hall Annex
New facility will house classrooms, offices and meeting spaces for School of Public and International Affairs
November 24, 2014Print
- Stephanie Schupska
- Nancy Power Thompson
Athens, Ga. - The University of Georgia will welcome state legislators and others to campus on Dec. 2 at 4 p.m. as it breaks ground on the Baldwin Hall Annex. The ceremony will be held in the parking lot behind Baldwin Hall, adjacent to the Jackson Street Cemetery.
The ceremony will include remarks from UGA President Jere W. Morehead; Student Government Association President Drew Jacoby; Rep. Earl Ehrhart (R-Powder Springs); David Shafer, president pro tempore of the Georgia state Senate; and David Ralston, speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives.
A reception will be held immediately following the ceremony.
Built in 1938, Baldwin Hall served as a Navy pre-flight school during World War II and was home to several UGA academic programs. Today, the building on North Campus houses departments within the School of Public and International Affairs and the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences.
The new Baldwin Hall Annex will provide SPIA with technology-enabled active learning classrooms; space for graduate teaching assistants to hold office hours with undergraduate students; and common areas for faculty, staff, students and alumni to convene for academic discussions, presentations and events.
Baldwin Hall will be renovated to provide academic departments with modern instructional facilities, greater accessibility for individuals with disabilities and a more efficient mechanical system.