The University System of Georgia 2018 open enrollment period is Oct. 30 through Nov. 10. Main points for this year’s open enrollment are:
• UGA will hold its first Benefits Fair Oct. 20 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Mahler Hall of the Georgia Center. Twenty health, well-being and financial planning vendors will be at the fair to provide information and answer employees’ questions.
• Faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to log in to OneUSG Connect-Benefits (http://oneusgconnect.usg.edu/) for additional information on benefits and to make open enrollment elections.
• For employees who do not make any changes or new elections for open enrollment, current coverage will remain the same for 2018 with the exception of FSA enrollment. As always, an FSA election is required each year. The tobacco surcharge will remain the same as the current election if you do not need to change your tobacco status in 2018.
• Benefits open enrollment is the only time donations can be made to the shared sick leave pool. Faculty and staff who wish to join the shared sick leave pool must have completed their provisional employment period and make the required donation. Employees must donate a minimum of eight hours of sick leave during open enrollment. (Donation requirements and sick leave balance requirements are prorated for part-time employees.) Faculty and staff members who already are members of the shared sick leave pool are not required to donate additional sick leave to remain in the pool. However, they may donate up to 80 sick leave hours during the open enrollment period if they wish.
• Check benefits plans for changes in deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums and premiums. There are no changes to the dental, disability, critical illness, accident, hospital indemnity and legal plans.
• There is a new voluntary benefit plan. Purchasing Power is a Georgia-based company that provides an online purchasing site with a buy now-pay over time through payroll deduction over six to 12 months. Employees who wish to participate may set up an account in January.
• With the implementation of the OneUSG Connect-Benefits system, Human Resources will make additional decision support tools available to employees and retirees. Log in to OneUSG Connect-Benefits for cost and plan comparison tools.
No action is required during open enrollment for employees whose tobacco use has not changed. Faculty and staff (or any covered dependents) who have changed tobacco use must use the OneUSG Connect-Benefits system during open enrollment to correctly reflect that tobacco use.
Open enrollment is passive this year. No action is required on the part of employees who wish to make no changes in their benefits choices for 2018. EXCEPTION: Faculty and staff must enroll each year for flexible spending accounts, if desired.
A comprehensive list of all the provided benefits options is online at http://www.usg.edu/assets/hr/benefits_docs/BOR_Comparison_Guide_NEW.pdf.
Those who need assistance or have questions about open enrollment, can log in to OneUSG Connect-Benefits at http://oneusgconnect.usg.edu/ or phone the OneUSG Connect-Benefits call center at 1-844-587-4236.