Twenty-four University of Georgia students, faculty and staff members who died since last April will be honored at the university’s annual candlelight memorial service on May 1 at 7 p.m. on the steps of the Chapel.
UGA President Jere Morehead will lead the service, called “Georgia Remembers…a Candlelight Memorial.” Names of each of the 14 students and 10 faculty and staff members will be read aloud, followed by a toll of the Chapel bell and the lighting of a candle.
Names will be read by Scott Pegan, past chair of the executive committee of University Council; Marie Mize, president of the Staff Council; and Rachel Byers, president of the Student Government Association.
Members of the university’s Arch Society will light candles as each name is read aloud. Diane Bales, campus minister of Disciples on Campus, will deliver an opening prayer, and Ammishaddai Grand-Jean, a student leader involved in campus ministry, will deliver a closing prayer. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the flames from the Arch Society members’ candles will be passed to attendees so they can light their own candles of remembrance.
The Southern Wind Quintet from the Hugh Hodgson School of Music will provide music, and the university’s Army ROTC will ring the bell.
Students whose names will be read, along with their hometowns and the areas of study they were pursuing, are:
- Rowson Alvin Ahmed, a fourth-year doctoral student from Loganville studying pharmacy;
- Stacey Carol Bowden, a fourth-year student from Bishop majoring in psychology;
- Parker Edward Brasfield, a second-year student from Marietta studying management;
- Stefanie Smith Fasselin, a graduate student from Peachtree City studying business administration;
- Cameron Richards Fearon, a second-year student from Atlanta majoring in real estate;
- Bilal Abdu Ibrahim, a graduate student from Athens studying philosophy;
- Amy Katherine Lee, a fourth-year student from Dacula majoring in special education;
- Kayon Joy Lindsey-Scott, a doctoral student from Grayson majoring in educational administration and policy;
- David Michael Miklesh, a doctoral student from Athens studying marine sciences;
- Stephen MacGregor Norris, a fourth-year student from Cumming majoring in accounting;
- Jonathan Velazquez Samraj, a third-year student from Columbus studying biology, biochemistry and molecular biology;
- Karl Vincent Sperry, a fourth-year student from Warner Robins majoring in natural resource management and sustainability;
- Natalie Ann Staffieri, a third-year student from Flowery Branch majoring in early childhood education; and
- William Aaron Whitaker, a third-year student from Carrollton studying exercise and sport science and intended athletic training.
Faculty and staff whose names will be read, along with the positions they held, are:
- Lanikki Addison, building services supervisor, Facilities Management Division;
- Jeannine Blackmon, veterinary care supervisor, College of Veterinary Medicine;
- James Cartey, agricultural specialist, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences;
- Christy Desmet, professor, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences;
- Steeve Giguere, professor, College of Veterinary Medicine;
- Edwin Lewis Jennings, materials handler II, Dining Services/Central Food Storage;
- Charles S. Junior, parts specialist, Transportation and Parking Services;
- Charlotte A. McGinn, county extension program assistant, Southeast District–Cooperative Extension;
- Geraldine McGuire, facilities manager II, Office of Research; and
- Jeffrey R. Wagner, laboratory manager II, Office of Research.
The candlelight memorial service is coordinated by the department of Student Care and Outreach within UGA Student Affairs.