Demolition of the former Kappa Alpha fraternity house at 294 S. Lumpkin Street is under way. The entire project is expected to be completed by the end of August. After following the standard approval process through the University System of Georgia Board of Regents for demolition of any building on university property, final approval for the demolition was received on July 24.
Constructed in 1938, the house became occupied by Kappa Alpha fraternity in 1953. The last major renovation to the building was made in 1969, and Kappa Alpha vacated it earlier this year. UGA will use the site for further improvements under its Northwest Precinct master plan, which expands academic facilities westward from the historic North Campus.
A new facility for the College of Family and Consumer Sciences is proposed for the Kappa Alpha site and awaits state funding under the University System of Georgia capital construction priorities. Other plans for the precinct include new facilities for the Terry College of Business and the School of Public and International Affairs, as well as construction of the Richard B. Russell Building to house UGA’s special collections libraries. Design funding for the special collections building was received in the fiscal year 2009 budget.
The Hull Street Parking Deck was constructed to support forthcoming growth in the Northwest Precinct, and design of required utility upgrades is under way. Future development of the Northwest Precinct will increase significantly academic square footage, green space and pedestrian ways to enhance the university’s academic mission.