Louis T. Griffith, 87, a retired faculty member and administrator who held some of the first public relations and fundraising positions at the university and was a widely respected leader in Athens civic affairs, died Aug. 10 in Athens.
Griffith, a native of Eatonton, earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from UGA in 1939 and a master of arts degree in 1941. After Army service in World War II, he was editor and publisher of the Eatonton Messenger newspaper before joining the journalism faculty in 1949 and beginning a 35-year career at UGA.
In addition to teaching journalism courses, he served as the university’s director of public relations, as assistant to UGA President O.C. Aderhold and as dean of university relations. In 1974 he was appointed assistant vice president for development and university relations and held this position and the faculty position of associate professor of journalism until he retired in 1984.
A history enthusiast with extensive knowledge of Georgia, Athens and UGA history, Griffith was co-author with John Talmadge of History of Georgia Journalism, 1763-1950.
In addition to being a strong supporter and volunteer for the Georgia Museum of Art for more than 40 years, Griffith held leadership positions in numerous civic and cultural organizations in Athens.
Memorial donations may be made to the Georgia Museum of Art or the American Cancer Society.