UGA President-elect Jere Morehead has appointed a search committee to begin a national search for the university’s next senior vice president for academic affairs and provost.
William Gray Potter, university librarian and associate provost, will chair the committee, which is composed of faculty, staff, administrators, students and alumni.
“As the university’s sole senior vice president, the next provost will play a central role in guiding the teaching, research and service mission of the university,” Morehead said. “I am grateful to Dr. Potter for agreeing to chair this search committee and to the faculty, staff and students who will play an integral role in this process.”
The search committee members are:
- Nicholas Allen, Franklin Professor of English and director of the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts;
- Michelle Barton, holder of the Fuller Callaway Endowed Chair and Meigs Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine;
- Lonnie Brown, holder of the Cleveland Distinguished Chair of Legal Ethics and Professionalism, School of Law;
- Jean Chin, executive director of the University Health Center, Division of Student Affairs;
- Celeste Condit, Distinguished Research Professor of Communication Studies, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences;
- Phaedra Corso, professor, College of Public Health, and director of the Economic Evaluation Research Group;
- Sarah Covert, professor and associate dean of academic affairs, Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources;
- Stephen Dalton, professor and Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar in Molecular Cell Biology and director of the Center for Molecular Medicine;
- Jerry Daniel, IT professional, department of mathematics, and chair of the Staff Council;
- J. Griffin Doyle, vice president for government relations;
- Silvia Giraudo, associate professor, College of Family and Consumer Sciences, and chair of University Council;
- Loch Johnson, Regents and Meigs Professor of Public and International Affairs, School of Public and International Affairs;
- Craig H. Kennedy, dean of the College of Education;
- Austin Laufersweiler, president of Student Government Association;
- Laura Meadows, director of the Carl Vinson Institute of Government;
- Daniel Nadenicek, dean of the College of Environment and Design;
- Annette B. Poulsen, Sterne Professor of Banking and Finance, Terry College of Business;
- Gregory H. Robinson, UGA Foundation Distinguished Professor in Chemistry;
- Krunal Shah, president of the Graduate Student Association;
- J. Marshall Shepherd, Georgia Athletic Association Professor in the Social Sciences and director of the Atmospheric Sciences Program;
- John Spalding, incoming chair of the UGA Foundation; and
- Steven Stice, GRA Eminent Scholar in animal and dairy science, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, and director of the Regenerative Bioscience Center.
Morehead said the committee will begin its work in the coming weeks with the goal of completing the search before the end of fall semester.
The search committee will be assisted by the firm Heidrick and Struggles International Inc. Kathy Pharr, chief of staff to the incoming president, will provide internal support to the committee.
Morehead has served as provost since 2010. In February he was chosen by the University System of Georgia Board of Regents to be UGA’s 22nd president, effective July 1.
As the chief academic officer of UGA, the senior vice president for academic affairs and provost oversees instruction, research, public service and outreach, student affairs and information technology.
The vice presidents of these areas report to the provost, as do the deans of UGA’s 17 schools and colleges.