Campus News

Regents approve new in-state tuition

Freshmen entering UGA this fall will be under the board of regents’ guaranteed tuition plan, which fixes tuition at the same rate for four years. At its meeting earlier this month, the regents approved new guaranteed tuition rates for these students.

Tuition rates for incoming freshmen will be $2,428 per semester at the four research universities, which include UGA, Georgia Tech, Georgia State University and the Medical College of Georgia. This is an increase of $180, or 8 percent, from fall 2007.

In addition to setting new four-year tuition rates for fall 2008, the regents’ action means that students who first enrolled under the guaranteed tuition plan in both fall 2006 and fall 2007 will again see no change in tuition rates. Students who enrolled prior to fall 2006 as well as those enrolling this fall will see an increase necessary for the system to meet its 25 percent share of the cost of teaching in-state students. The state meets the remaining 75 percent of instructional costs.