Campus News

Board of regents approve university’s plan to raze, renovate Rutherford Hall

At its Nov. 9 meeting, the board of regents approved UGA’s plan to raze Rutherford Hall and rebuild it as a 260-person residence hall. William “Dink” NeSmith, regent vice chairman, voted against tearing down the building.

Constructed in 1939 as a project of the federal Public Works Administration, the residence hall was named for Mildred (Millie) Rutherford, who served the Lucy Cobb Institute in various capacities for 48 years.

Demolition of the 72-year-old structure is expected to begin this spring with the new residence hall, which also will be named for Rutherford, ready for occupancy in fall 2013.