Campus News

School of Social Work to hold open house in its new location

School of Social Work-New Location-h.environment
The School of Social Work has a new home in a historic former textile mill on the banks of the North Oconee River. An open house will be held Aug. 28 from 4-6 p.m.

The School of Social Work will hold an open house Aug. 28 from 4-6 p.m. at its new home in a historic former textile mill on the banks of the North Oconee River.

The school, which occupied Tucker Hall on main campus for the past 40 years, recently relocated to 279 Williams St. Visitors will be able to take guided tours of the 158-year-old building, learn more about the school’s various programs, speak with faculty, students and staff, view state-of-the-art classroom technology and eat ice cream and light refreshments. The event is open free to the public.

“We are thrilled to begin the school’s 51st year in such a historic and beautiful structure,” said Maurice Daniels, professor and dean of the social work school. “This facility offers an excellent environment for learning, teaching and research.”

Built in 1857, the 37,000 square-foot, four-story building now holds classrooms, conference rooms, instructional technology laboratories, offices, gender-specific and gender-neutral bathrooms as well as a student lounge. The building’s renovated interior features the original exposed brick walls and thick wooden support beams and also energy-saving upgrades such as motion-sensing faucets and light switches. Classrooms are equipped with cutting-edge, multi-purpose instructional display systems.

Faculty who have recently joined the school will also be introduced. They include Llewellyn J. Cornelius, professor and director of the Center for Social Justice, Human and Civil Rights; and assistant professors Rebecca Matthew, Jane McPherson and Michael Robinson.

For more information, visit