The University of Georgia is launching a national search for the director of its Equal Opportunity Office. The post will be vacated on Oct. 1, upon the retirement of its current director, Janyce Dawkins, who has led the office since 2012.
The EOO is responsible for UGA’s compliance with federal and state laws dealing with access to employment, enrollment, and other programs and services. The office investigates complaints of discrimination and harassment and enforces UGA’s Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy and Sexual Misconduct Policy.
Areas of responsibility include oversight of education, prevention, investigation and remediation efforts related to gender, race and other forms of discrimination; sexual harassment and other forms of sexual misconduct; athletics equity; and related civil rights investigations. The EOO Director serves as UGA’s Title IX Coordinator and Americans with Disabilities Act/Section 504 Coordinator.
“Under Janyce’s leadership, EOO has played a pivotal role in ensuring that UGA provides a welcoming and inclusive environment for students, faculty and staff that is free from discrimination and harassment,” said President Jere W. Morehead. “I value her legal acumen and will miss the benefit of her thoughtful counsel.”
Mike Raeber, UGA’s general counsel, will chair the search for Dawkins’ replacement. Faculty, staff, students or community members who wish to nominate candidates for consideration are invited to contact Michael Luthi, director of the UGA Search Group, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The search committee members are:
- Meg Amstutz, Associate Provost for Academic Programs and Chief of Staff to the Provost
- Tamara Freeman, Deputy Director of Human Resources, Finance and Administration
- Darrice Griffin, Deputy Athletic Director, UGA Athletic Association
- Audrey Haynes, Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor and Director of the Applied Politics Certificate Program, School of Public and International Affairs
- Roswell Lawrence, Assistant Vice President and Chief of Staff, Finance and Administration
- Barrett Malone, Director of Student Conduct, Student Affairs
- Gwen Moss, Associate Vice President for Fiscal Affairs, Public Service and Outreach
- Roya Naghepour, Second-year Student and Former Student Government Association Vice President, School of Law
- Mike Raeber, General Counsel (Chair)
- Usha Rodrigues, University Professor and Martin E. Kilpatrick Professor of Corporate Finance and Securities Law, School of Law
- Alton Standifer, Assistant to the President
Beth Bailey, UGA’s senior associate general counsel, will serve as interim director of EOO beginning October 1. A veteran lawyer with extensive experience in higher education law, Bailey has worked in UGA’s Legal Affairs office since 1994 and provided interim leadership of the office during the 2013-14 academic year. She currently advises 11 UGA units on legal, policy and liability issues.