Athens, Ga. – University of Georgia Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Pamela Whitten has appointed a committee to begin a national search to fill the position of university librarian and associate provost.
David S. Williams, associate provost and director of the Honors Program, will chair the search committee, which includes faculty, student and library staff representatives. The committee will be assisted by the UGA Search Group in Human Resources.
The search committee members are:
• Lisa Bayer, director, UGA Press;
• Timothy Chester, vice president for information technology;
• Diana Hartle, coordinator of public services, science library;
• M.V. (Trey) Hood, professor of political science and graduate coordinator, School of Public and International Affairs;
• Eric Matthews, director of library administrative services;
• Barbara McCaskill, associate professor of English, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, and co-director, Civil Rights Digital Library Initiative;
• Vishal Patel, third-year student, Terry College of Business;
• Susan Sanchez, professor of infectious diseases, College of Veterinary Medicine;
• Viki Timian, head of access services department, UGA Libraries; and
• Rebecca White, dean and J. Alton Hosch Professor of Law, School of Law.
William Gray Potter, who has been head of the UGA libraries since 1989, recently announced that he would retire on Aug. 31 following a 25-year career at UGA.
The university librarian and associate provost is the chief executive officer for the UGA Libraries and reports to the senior vice president for academic affairs and provost. The University of Georgia Libraries includes four principal facilities: the Ilah Dunlap Little Memorial Library (main library), the science library, the Zell B. Miller Learning Center and the Richard B. Russell Building Special Collections Libraries. The UGA Press and The Georgia Review literary journal also report to the university librarian and are housed in the main library. The UGA Libraries comprises 16 departments, with approximately 70 librarians, 160 staff members and 190 student assistants. For more information about the UGA Libraries, see http://www.libs.uga.edu/.