A groundbreaking ceremony will be held Nov. 9 to celebrate the new University of Georgia Veterinary Medical Learning Center. The facility will include a new teaching hospital, laboratories and classroom space for future students who enroll in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
The ceremony, which is open to the public, will begin at 2:30 p.m. on the grounds of the new facility, located near the intersection of College Station and Barnett Shoals roads. Parking at the site will be limited.
The current UGA College of Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital, built in 1979, serves more than 18,000 patients per year in one of the smallest teaching hospitals in the U.S. The new learning center is being designed by Perkins+Will (www.perkinswill.com).
UGA College of Veterinary Medicine
The UGA College of Veterinary Medicine, founded in 1946, is dedicated to training future veterinarians, conducting research related to animal and human diseases and providing veterinary services for animals and their owners. Research efforts are aimed at enhancing the quality of life for animals and people, improving the productivity of poultry and livestock and preserving a healthy interface between wildlife and people in the environment they share. The college enrolls 102 students each fall out of more than 600 who apply. For more information, see www.vet.uga.edu.
Note to editors: To downloadable renderings of the Veterinary Medical Learning Center, see http://www.vet.uga.edu/PR/photos.php.